Friday, January 23, 2009

Hit in the head with a Hammer



There is a really great article that has confirmed my suspicions that severe head trauma is unfairly demonized.

I often find punching myself in the head when I'm stuck on a thought-problem helps me focus and arrive at the answer more swiftly.

Sadly this behavior is "not acceptable" or "a sign of mental disorder" . At least that is what my team of psychologists and psychotherapists would have me believe.

However, the good folks over at wiseperception.com have published an interesting article that seems to contradict everything Dr. Stupid-face has been telling me at group for the last (court ordered) 18 months.


Excerpt from the article:

"Individuals have been known to develop extraordinary abilities much later in life, or after severe brain trauma. Alonzo Clemons, for example, developed an incredible talent, which appears to have emerged directly following a head injury as a child. He can see a fleeting image (on a television screen for example) of any animal, and in less than 20 minutes sculpt a perfect replica of that animal in three-dimensional accuracy. The wax animal is correct in each and every detail, down to each fiber and muscle.

Imagine being able to learn one of the most difficult languages on Earth, Icelandic, in just 7 days. Well known Savant, Daniel Tammet, makes is look easy. His extraordinary abilities are linked to synesthesia. He "feels" numbers in terms of texture, shape and color. Some scientists believe that the epileptic seizures he suffered as a small child, which nearly ended his life, somehow unlocked the door to an incredible ability that may be inherent in all humans."



Next time I sit down for a one-to-one I'm going to let these stupid Dr.'s know how wrong they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment